What Is The Difference Between An Architect And Building Designer?

By admin Blog Comments Off on What Is The Difference Between An Architect And Building Designer?

House Plans

What is the difference between an Architect and Building Designer? 

Is a question a lot of people ask.

Building designers and architects have very similar responsibilities, however, there are some differences. Generally building designer and architect design buildings such as residences, office buildings, warehouses and more.

For an architect to legally use the title in Australia they must be registered with the Board of Architects in their state. Which requires five years at university, followed by two years of practical work, before sitting an oral and written examination. An architect can oversee your entire project from start to finish, along with paperwork and administration. Some people see architects as the specialists of building design however generally the architect will have almost full design control and can cost significantly more compared to a Building Designer.  

Many people don’t know that building designers can perform a similar scope of work to an architect. And while you don’t need a degree to become a building designer, rest assured knowing that the work of a building designer needs to fully comply with the state building and planning regulations. An example of this regulation is that in Queensland all building designers are required to hold professional indemnity insurance in order to maintain a building design license with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC). A Building Design company carrying out work in Queensland without the Building Design licence from the QBCC is doing so illegally.

Typically Building Designers supply you with a set of floor plans and proposed elevations for your private certifier and builder. In addition to these plans, you will also require the following from separate companies:  soil testing, foundation design, structural engineering certificate and certification. Another service that is required on the majority of sites is surveying and depending on the type of construction work being carried out will determine the type or cost of surveying required.

Who is best for my project?

If you’re looking to build something special with experimental or difficult design features or fittings, you love a particular architect’s style and want your project to reflect that, it may be best for you to consult an architect. However, if you’re looking for a well-designed, functional project, or importantly want plans drawn just the way you want; you should consider a building designer.

Designer Planning provides house plans and drafting services for your new home, extension, renovation, house raising project and more. We are solely focused on getting your ideas on to paper quickly and efficiently and provide all the plans you need for your Private Building Certifier and your builder. Unlike some other companies, we provide you with all the structural engineering documents including soil testing as part of our structural engineering division. Check out some of our previous jobs in our portfolio

At Designer Planning, we understand the processes required by the council just to approve a simple extension. We work closely with Private Building Certifiers, Builders and Engineers, so we can assist in what is required for Council Building Applications. Contact us today to get your project underway at 3087 5332 or info@designerplanning.com.au. We service all area of South East Queensland including Brisbane, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Townsville.

  • Share: